4 Ways To Identify Your Purpose



 

You want to know your purpose? Consider that it may not be purpose you seek, but courage. Knowing what I want has never been an issue for me. It was having the courage to go after it. Knowing what you want is an intuitive skill that any and everyone has, but like any skill requires practice. 

Before my dreams were dreams, first they were whispers, subtle hints, and curiosities. Or, as Oprah recalls in her book The Path Made Clear "the oak tree in the acorn.” Whatever elaborate and grand dream you have is the oak tree and the oak tree is birthed from the acorn. The acorn for me represents the breadcrumbs. They…are the sparks of joy, flashes of curiosity, and subtle pauses. When we are willing to cultivate our dreams, the breadcrumbs can then lead to treasures. Enjoy the breadcrumbs and follow their trail first, then let them take you to your treasures.



What are your breadcrumbs? What is your “acorn”?

  • You see someone else do it and want your version of that thing
  • You think it is the best thing since sliced bread
  • It comes easy to you and you want to be better
  • It comes hard to you and you want to be better


You see someone else do it and want your version of that thing


At age 4 I saw my grandfather sketch and felt in my heart I want to do that. When I was in my junior year of college I excitedly watched the Studio Art majors give a presentation and knew that that was supposed to be me so I switched my major from Graphic Design to Studio Art. I did that same presentation the following year.


  • Excitement to imitate is breadcrumb #1




You think it is the best thing since sliced bread


6 years ago I stumbled upon life coaching through a reality tv-series and thought, that’s a job? Sign me up! At age 9 I asked my parents to buy me a tape recorder and waltzed around as I pretended to be a reporter and interviewer. When no one was around, I would use it to create lyrics to the notes in my head.


  • Fascination and wonder towards the things you enjoy is breadcrumb #2




It comes easy to you and you want to be better


From the ages of 5-17 my parents continually bought me cameras. NOT ONCE did I ask for one. I took advantage of my digital gifts by learning how to compose images and poses. Talk about a passive hint from the Universe to be creative! Since I could remember, I would always take arts and crafts seriously. Whether it was 5-year-old me or 17-year-old me I would be in the zone.


  • Opportunities sometimes get handed to you because something inside of you needed those opportunities to develop your gifts and skills. This is breadcrumb #3.




It comes hard to you and you want to be better


Upon entering college, I decided to pursue a Graphic Design degree. It was a good combination of job security and a channel for my creative endeavors, but I halfheartedly committed to my work and struggled to keep up with my peers. Whereas in my fine art classes, working with my hands felt almost SACRED. Graphic Design once again was a clear “no” for me.


  • When things don’t work out, shift your perspective, and see if you can approach it differently. This is breadcrumb #4. 



Some of these breadcrumbs, I cultivated with full force, others remained latent until they were ready to come alive and needed to be realized. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it is hidden but just as valuable. Sometimes calling something a hobby is a write-off for not pursuing it wholeheartedly for fear of judgment or temporary failure. But it is when we pursue the things we love, what we love becomes a language for how we live. 


That is your purpose.


This year, 2020, I decided that I am participating in as many things that bring me joy as I can. Some I have interjected careful planning into, while others I am completely improvising.  The return on investment has been priceless! You can’t put a price on joy and happiness however ephemeral they may be.





Get the tools many have used to overcome fear, limiting beliefs, and blockages and create the life they desire by scheduling a sample coaching session with me at www.shantiacrowley.com/life-coaching, or continue to get a stream of inspiring creative entrepreneurial content from these blogs. As always, remember you are the creator of your reality. Transform your life from the inside out.

Comments

Popular Posts